Saturday, March 5, 2011

Tron Legacy

TRON!!

Bring on the blue light cycles and heroes. Bring on the games. Bring on Tron: Legacy.
From watching the trailer, the special effects with CGI not only hold on to the visual and story elements from the classic 1982 movie, but they also make the Tron world more real. It looks like a digital masterpiece of a science fiction adventure.

Now, I eagerly await the release to see if the movie is as good as the trailer. Whenever a sequel is made or a story is revisited, I always want to see continuity with the story and characters. Since the storyline continues 27 years later from the time of the last movie, it is promising enough continuity with Tron, the Grid, Flynn (Jeff Bridges) and a Alan (Bruce Boxleitner). I even see the laser digital device firing up as Flynn’s son sits down to find his dad.

The father/son angle caused me concern because I have seen it used many times, sometimes successfully (Star Wars, of course) and used unsuccessfully (Lost In Space, 1998).  Disney on the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) does give a promising story summary. Walt Disney Pictures says, “..father and son embark on a life-or-death journey across a cyber universe -- a universe created by Kevin himself that has become far more advanced with vehicles, weapons, landscapes and a ruthless villain who will stop at nothing to prevent their escape.” Father and son together! Two techno-geniuses going toe to toe with a hyper-dangerous world. How cool is that? And the tagline is reported to be, “The Game Has Changed.” I like the line, “Welcome to the Grid,’ myself. I am hoping for a few more good lines.

I am curious to know the villain. Dillenger was taken out, but whatever happened to MCP, the Master Control Program, which was a cross between HAL and Roman emperor hosting gladiator games. So, what twist and discovery awaits until December.

I will, of course, get out my DVD of Tron (an excellent Christmas gift from the kids coached by Heidi) and watch it.

It would be great to watch Tron in my Science Fiction and Fantasy class. This would be a great learning opportunity to watch an original story line and then see it cross over to a new generation. Unfortunately, the movie comes out after the trimester is over, so I will not be able to be able to assign a paper over it.
I’ll have to show it. And you have to rent it and see it too. It is everyone’s homework to seeTron. We will revisit Tron: Legacy on this website late December/early January. 

Even in the Grid, education is crucial to a good movie sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Everything I Need to Know in the 'Verse I Learned on Firefly"

Or at least, "in SciFi class." And if no SciFi class, then here. Good literature, television, and film can teach us. They can gi...