Saturday, March 5, 2011

Clash of the Titans - Revisited.

The Clash is a Bash.

Being a fan of Greek mythology, I have studied the myth-proper of Perseus. I know the liberties that Clash of the Titans (2010) took in changing the story. Yet, I really enjoyed the special effects, the story, the actors and the action sequence.

Of course, I am still a fan of Clash of the Titans (1981). It takes me back to an era of stop motion photography and the simpler times of high school. I had a group of good friends, who, like me, enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons, Science Fiction and Fantasy movies and the after-movie binges at Pinball Pete’s.

When I fist saw the previews for the 2010 version, my first thought was that Perseus went from hero to bad-ass. The ’81 version had Harry Hamlin as Perseus. He had well-styled hair and his intentions noble; he wanted to save Adromeda. The movie was a family movie. It reminded me of the Sinbad movies of the seventies.

Clash 2010 was grittier. It showed Perseus as someone who was troubled, angry and out for vengeance. He was not out to save the girl; he was out to avenge the death of his family. Sam Worthington is not “as pretty” (as my wife says) as Harry was; his hair is a really short. What was amusing was the appearance of Boobo, the mechanical owl. I did not really care for the owl’s role in 1981, so when 2010 poked fun at it, I was pleased.

I enjoyed both movies. I love classic film for there is something about the beauty of sto[-motion photography for monsters because it is an art of the time period, and I like redone versions if done with good taste to the key elements and computer aided graphics are a blast. Both movies get a thumbs up from me. It’s a Clash Bash Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Everything I Need to Know in the 'Verse I Learned on Firefly"

Or at least, "in SciFi class." And if no SciFi class, then here. Good literature, television, and film can teach us. They can gi...